Sunday, August 02, 2009

Wow is it August 2009 already?


Taking a break from posting fiction, I thought I’d share with you the latest from the world of Steph & Louis.

Is it just me or did 2009 start just yesterday? Where have the last 7 months gone? They’ve simply flown by. Louis is now 11 months old, and growing at a crazy rate. I am starting to suspect that I got myself a dwarf lion and not a normal cat at all.


He is a lovely, good natured boy though. I managed to intercept him yesterday when he was going to bring a lizard to play with into the house. Giving him my sternest look I said “Don’t even think about it!”

Well he did think about it, you could almost see the synapses sparking behind his eyes as he assessed his options. Deciding that Mama Steph was not to be messed with, he slowly lowered his head, eyes fixed on me and opened his mouth. The liberated lizard darted away to hide in the weeds (I’m not the world’s best gardener) and Louis, seeing something move fast promptly forgot that he just set it free and started to pursue it again. It must be lovely to be a kitten, with the attention span of a goldfish.

My nephew Tom, aged 9 yrs old (I still like to think of him as 6 yrs old, it comforts me) came round to see me on Thursday night and he played with Louis for hours. He only got scratched twice, which isn’t bad given how over excited the two of them were. It was a lovely evening. I’d been signed off work by my doctor because of a stomach virus that I couldn’t shift. Saying that I think he mainly signed me off because he wasn’t that sure what I had and I was the colour of cement. Apparently grey is not a good look for me, as he kept saying that I looked awful, the flatterer.

Tom had baked me “moon cookies” which look a bit like small scones and taste lovely. He believes in using really large choc chips, he’s a good boy. Tom thought they might make me feel better and I think it worked as by Friday I was feeling vaguely human (although still slightly cement hued) and Saturday I even walked up the road without hyperventilating. Today I feel normal again, and the writing has recommenced. My main problem being that I have just too many story ideas at the moment, I’m finding it hard to commit to one.

So 2009 is over 7 months old now, what are the top ten things that I’ve learnt so far:

1) I’m a much happier human if I have a pet

2) Writing makes my soul sing, even though it is frustratingly hard work and can feel like you’re head butting a wall at times

3) You meet the loveliest people on twitter. Sure that my work colleagues will look down on the whole thing as they describe it as “you like talk to strangers, weird” but I don’t want to explain it to them, it is my space to chat. They can stick to facebook. Why do people have to be so negative about things they don't understand?

4) Friends are a wonderful invention and really enrich my life

5) I’m looking forward to my trip to the UK in December, even though it will be so cold, can’t wait to see everyone, I’m ready for a holiday “back home”

6) You can only live for about 1 month without a vacuum cleaner before going insane

7) You should listen to the doctor when he says rest, otherwise you’ll just keep getting sick every other week

8) Work is fine and can even be fun, if you don’t let it take over your life

9) I’m very good at what I do, day job wise that is, but I don’t necessarily want to do it forever

10) It really isn’t that important to be understood, just so long as people give you the space you need to simply BE. You really don’t need to apologise for that

Ok so maybe I am still feeling unwell to be drivelling on, but life is pretty good at the moment. I’m enjoying it before I hit the office tomorrow and have to do 5 days work in 1 day. I’m contemplating going out and walking to Mosman to buy the most beautifully tomatoes on the planet at the Fourth Village, Vista Street (if I big them up, they might find out about it and give a free lifetime supply!)

The sun is shining and hope continues to spring eternal in my world

4 comments:

Sofluid said...

Glad you're feeling better!

Looking forward to hearing more about those new short story ideas :)

What do you do for work, Steph? I don't think I've heard you mention it before? I know you work in an office but that's the long and short of it!

Wow, a trip to the Uk in December... Sounds good! Will you be visiting London? :)

Steph Ressort said...

Hi Michelle

I work as a media planner/ strategist/ maker of spreadsheets & beautiful powerpoint charts. Essentially I work in advertising, looking at ways to get the message to the consumers (so not making the ads but looking at the best ways to get the right people to see them).

I will indeed be in London in December, that is my home town. Looking forward to it, think some cosy pub sessions will be in order

Unknown said...

YOU'RE COMING BACK TO ENGLAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!

I so have a drink with your name on it. I demand to see your face for real otherwise you're just a robot. Seriously, I want to catch up for real. I was beginning to plan a crazy trip to Australia just so I could come and knock on your door and torment Louis (in a nice way).

I bet you make the best spreadsheets in town Lovely.

Kx.

Steph Ressort said...

There are so many people in awe of my spreadsheet skills it is unbelievable (the secret is in the colour coding - sshhh don't tell anyone).

I think that an alcoholic beverage in one of London's many fine public houses would definitely be called for. Not back until December (brrrrr) so we have plenty of time to select a great venue lol