Monday, January 30, 2006

Birthday celebrations - belated post

Well having been a tad busy in my final work week, I never did get round to updating re my birthday celebrations on 21st Jan at the Windmill Pub on the Cut in Waterloo. Even now I don't have all the pictures, as I used my mum's camera and I really need to get her some rechargeable batteries as I know that I have enough "amusing" pictures in there to populate an entire website that many of you would boycott.

It was a great night and we all drank more than was good for us (well except for Eva, who as a tea totaller impressed a lot of my friends by being part of the late night crowd that came back to my house to drink/talk/dance/sing/generally act stupid through the night.

Well my edited highlights from the evening are... seeing everyone, really pleased that so many of you made it, especially Rob, Griff, Lucia and Nuttah who all came in from our of town. For those of you that didn't say until chucking out time, you missed out on the barman's school boy error, when he told everyone to start making a move. Unfortunately everyone except Nuttah stood up, and they had all been sat on the same bench. Suffice it to say, he ended up on the floor, the bench did a semi flip and it took a lot longer to get us out of the pub as I was doubled over laughing so hard I thought I was going to be sick (what can I say, I'm a bitch).

We tried to find somewhere else to go on to for more drinks, but they were closing up (disappointing lack of middle of the night carnage due to change to licencing rules, most disappointing none-event since the milennium bug) so next challenge was to find taxis to get us back to mine, while also locating booze en route. Determined not to be tucked up in bed with some cocoa for an early night, Hopkins tracked down some brews and the party was able to continue (although I never could persuade him to indulge in the lovely batch of apple brandy I have at home... he wasn't that drunk or stupid).

So here are a couple of piccies of those drinking back at Chateau Ressort. We all look far more sober than we were (and Rob, out of consideration for Rachel & Megan, I haven't posted the piccie of you showing off your man boobs, fabulous as they are, you were working it baby..).

I had a great time that weekend, well except for Sunday when I felt pretty rotten, even after a mega burger and gallons of orange juice & lemonade. We did manage to read almost every Sunday paper, while sitting in the pub vaguely watching the football (I was still a bit raw from the embarassment that was the Arsenal game on Saturday), making a very half hearted attempt at the various crosswords (until we found one that was easy enough for us to do without having to engage brain - brought to us by the News of the World).

To be honest I didn't feel entirely normal for the first couple of days last week. I wasn't sure if that was because it is still a bit surreal that I am going off travelling and am now unemployed... or if it was the lingering side effects of Saturday night. Oh well, I may never know.. doesn't really matter much now anyway.

Oh well I have am off in 4 days. Hope that they should some decent films on the plane. In terms of my leaving drinks, here is a quick summary of events from when I reached Polka (since I intelligently forgot to put the batteries back in my camera before going to the bar, I don't have any piccies) we arrived at Polka at 6.05pm, we drank, we drank some more, we talked a lot, we thought karaoke would be a great idea, we sang, we drank, I ran off pleading 10am meeting at 1.30am rather than go on clubbing, I got home, ate cheese and went to sleep... there job done. I had a great time! It was really lovely that SO MANY people came, of course doing a joint leaving do with Sophie was always going to guarantee that I would feel popular!

Next update should be from exotic climes rather than cold South London.

No comments: