Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Birthday girl

I am now officially 30+1 but I don't feel any different. Is it just me or do you never really feel different after a birthday? It is like you are waiting for some momentous life changing event but it invariably doesn't happen.

Didn't stop me having a lovely day though. I was woken by my mum bringing me lovely wrapped presents (there is something about wrapped packages that is just wonderful). The presents were spot on too when un-wrapped. I had great fun hoping up and down in front of my mirror in my lovely new (green, my favourite colour hence the background of this blog) sleeping bag to make sure that it looked good on (don't ask, it was early, pre coffee and made sense at the time, general consensus was that didn't make my bum look any bigger than it already is). Plus lots of nice brightly coloured vests and some hiking socks which will ensure that I have nice summery look, blister free feet and something warm to sleep in for those cooler nights on my travels! It was great!

This was followed by me making it in to work ON TIME! See it can happen! I found out that Walk the Line had won all 3 Golden Globes that it was nominated for (Best film, Best Actor and Best Actress all in Comedy/Musical category) which made me completely hyper as I just LOVE THAT FILM. I settled down to work and that later in the morning at Ingram I was asked to go to reception. I looked up from my computer screen and realised that no one else was in the office area so my "something is up" radar went on high alert. Sure enough I walked in to find everyone waiting for me with brownies, flapjacks, muffins (one with the a candle in it) and teas & coffees all laid out. It was really lovely, I wasn't expecting it at all.

Decided to do the virtuous thing and went to the gym at lunchtime (well after a flapjack and a brownie, I needed it!) where I worked out before treating myself to a good old steam

Ended the work day with a meeting with the guys from Metro Intl plus Kate from Ingram before a few of us headed to the pub at 6pm for my first birthday drink.

The day was made complete by a meal with my mum, Maggie and Eva at a new restaurant in Earlsfield (new places are sprouting like mushrooms at the moment, which is a nice change from the previous trend of all the places that I love closing down ie. Leons, the Pepper Tree and Bistro Rigolo). It was a lovely night. Maggie had got me some NZ currency for my trip as a present which was perfect as I now feel that bit more prepared for my upcoming adventures.

Well I only have 1 1/2 weeks of work left and I fly out destination Hong Kong in just over 2 weeks. I get the feeling that the time is going to fly by but I am now more or less prepared for it. Just need to work out how I am going to shoe horn everything I want to take in to one backpack and some hand luggage.

Oh and in terms of the 30+1 celebrations... I am really looking forward to Saturday night. If the memory card has arrived for my lovely new digital camera (Xmas pressie from my ever generous mum) I will hopefully have some pictures of the night to post here.

To those abroad, I look forward to seeing you on my round the world tour. To those of you in the UK, I look forward to seeing you Saturday if you can make it. Or Thursday 26th for my leaving drinks. Obviously you all need to make sure that I have a hangover for my last day at work, it is tradition.

No comments: