Thursday, March 02, 2006

Beating the clock on a slow computer

Well hello to all from Wanganui (or Whanganui depending on who wins the argument about putting the 'h' back in to make it proper Maori spelling). I am in a backpackers with 11 mins left on my internet time, so apologies if there are even more typos and spelling mistakes than usual.

OK well when I left off I had just arrived in Raglan where I was spending 2 nights. I had a lovely time there although it was a tad windy and overcast a lot of the time. My first evening, after walks along the nearby beaches and a spot of window shopping I headed back to probably the best hostel I have stayed in so far (well it is definitely up there with Watson's Way in Renwick) where I was sharing a room with 4 other people. The atmosphere was relaxed and they had a cat, which most of you know will make me very happy.

I had a lovely meal with Siobhan from Northern Ireland (working as a doctor in Hamilton) and a Canadian couple who were leaving the next morning. It was really very mellow, nice conversation, good food and another early night as I just can't seem to keep my eyes open once it gets back 10pm (probably all the internalised trauma I am feeling from all those very bendy roads and aggressive Kiwi drivers).

Through the backpackers I was booked on to a horseriding trip the next day at 11am. Another girl called Niki at the hostel wanted to go too, so I was the chauffeur (strange feeling for me) and drove us out there. That over simplifies a very stressful journey involving us missing the turning, long very windy narrow gravel roads and trying to drive with fingers crossed that another car doesn't come from the other direction (which of course they did, which led to manoeuvres to the edge of drops and lot of very cheerful thumbs up). We finally made it to the horse place 40 minutes late due to our inadvertant detour and bless them they had waited for us (they had called the backpackers so knew that we were on our way and didn't want us to miss out as they say people are alwaays getting lost trying to find them). I was introduced to my horse, Jack and we headed off.

The countryside was amazing. Jack wasn't really in a hurry so I got to enjoy the views from the back of the group. We went over mountains, through forests and eventually down to the beach, where, as we all had riding experience we actually got to give the horses a good run along the sand. Turns out that Jack loves to run (although he was good and didn't belt off as fast as the others, as I haven't ridden properly ages). There was a rather unfortunate incident in which Jack tried to avoid an incoming wave, stumbled and I had a choice, hang on or swim. I went for a dip. It was quite refreshing and definitely confused Jack how stopped, turned around and looked at me reproachfully. Wayne, the guy who owns the horse place came riding over but it was clear that while I was soggy, I was fine (well I had the giggles). What can I say, I have fallen off before and will no doubt fall off again. Why I still had a stirrup was a bit of a mystery to me, but hey it added to the adventure.

After that we headed for home (FYI we were always going to, not because of my minor mishap - and anyone who reads this knows that I am the queen of minor mishaps) back through the mountains and forests. It was lovely and Jack was definitely livelier knowing that he was heading back for some food and a shower (trust me I witnessed it, that horse loves a good shower).

It was a great 3 hour round trip and I really enjoyed it. I will definitely be trying to get some more horse riding trips booked in on my travels. It is good for the soul! Although my legs are black and blue after it, but that is only to be expected.

That evening I had some pasta back at the backpackers, supped on some red wine and watched some of my hostel mates playing a marathon game of surfer monopoly (don't ask!). I am reading a great book at the moment (Carter beast the devil - b'day pressie from Esteban and I love it, everyone read it) so I was a bit distracted, although I did join in with the finer rules of "Cheat" once the monopoly game was over.

The next day I headed to New Plymouth, once again having to face those nasty windy roads. It was another white knuckle ride but I made it through and headed off on the slightly less windy main road to New Plymouth. It was a nice journey down punctuated by the odd coffee break (I am addicted to flat whites).

I booked myself in to the Shoestring backpackers there which is another gem (yes they also have a cat, I can't help it I'm a sucker for felines). I had a quiet night in watching a bit of TV and listening to music. The next day I walked the Coastal pathway that runs in front of New Plymouth for 7km (of course stopping for a coffee and fritata for lunch en route). I had a good wander round New Plymouth but I wasn't up for any of the hikes in to Egmont National park as my feet still haven't fully recovered from the Tongariro Crossing, which was a shame as there are supposed to be some really good day walks there. But I have another 4 months to go and don't want to completely cripple myself too early.

That leads me up to this morning when I drove to Wanganui, another nice drive with some good coffee drunk along the way. I got in at 1pm and headed straight to Tamara's backpackers (nice place, shame about the slow computer) and found out that the only working paddle boat in New Zealand, the Waimarie, was going for an afternoon trip up the Whanganui river at 2pm. So I booked myself straight on and settled in for a very mellow afternoon of reading, taking photos of the scenery and eating a scone with raspberry jam and ginger beer (very Enid Blyton moment out here in NZ).

Tomorrow I head to Wellington for a night there before getting the ferry to South Island in the morning (after saying goodbye to my trusty Peugeot as I pick up a new car in Picton from a different rental company, but good news is that it is cheaper and I have 0 excess, so can be less paranoid about all the flying, scratchy gravel and loonie drivers).

Well that brings me up to date. I now need to check to see if my washing has finished yet, so I can transfer it to the dryer. Not sure if my riding clothes were salvageable but I live in hope.

Love to all

No comments: