Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Hello from Australia

Well after a lovely night with Sam & Tom, supping wine and eating lovely food, I had to drag myself out of bed at 5am for my flight to Australia.

It all went smoothly and here I am in Melbourne, a city where they really know how to look after tourists. At the airport I got the Skybus in to town, once at the main station the driver told us that there would be mini buses to take us to the door of wherever we were going. After checking, that wasn't just a service for hotel guests, but cheapo backpackers got it too. Plus if you give them enough notice, they'll pick you up too when you want to head back to the airport. All free service on top of the orginal bus ticket purchase (which is about 10 quid return! eat your heart out the heathrow express). So I got to my backpackers nice and easily, checked in and dumped my stuff. At which point I was told that they were making free pasta for everyone that night and that all I had to do was turn up at 6pm in the dining room. Sweet! Oh and they provide breakfast free (plus do proper cooked breakfasts on Thursday mornings, so I might just have to go out for a few drinks tonight to really feel the benefit tomorrow morning). Double sweet!

Feeling a bit tired after the flight and journey in, while it was only noon, all I wanted to do was find a nice park and lie there reading a book or snoozing. Walking along the street I saw somewhere wearing a red "i" t-shirt, which basically means that they are a volunteer there to help tourists. Fab! Armed with a city map and advice on the best park to head to (I tell you this place is just great for tourists) I made my way there and sure enough, soon found the perfect place to lounge around for 5 hours, before heading back to the hostel for my free pasta.

The girls in my dorm here are very friendly too, although I managed to get out of doing drinking last night based on tiredness, I think it will look very sad if I don't make it today so I may well have to head out for a few brews tonight. However, as mentioned above, free cooked breakfast tomorrow will see me right.

As for today, after a potter round central Melbourne, I once again headed to the park, claimed a nice big patch of grass and lounged around reading. What can I tell you, while it doesn't make for an exciting blog, it is cheap and relaxing. I had rather spend my money doing exciting stuff when I am on the coast (snorkeling or sailing or running away from people who want to go swim with sharks ) than spend it in a city. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I will tear myself away from the sunshine and make it to a museum or something. Umm or it may be overcast... that might inspire me to be cultural. Chances are thought that I will be once again vegged out in the park (plus I have found a place that does the greatest ice cream) beaing completely and decadently lazy. Bring it on!

Signing out, as I need to check out what the pub action tonight is going to involve.

Me love you all big time...

No comments: