Sunday, March 05, 2006

Lovely sunny Picton

Well I have fully recovered from the excitement for the crossing yesterday. I popped to the pub round the corner for a nice spot of seafood (when I say a spot, the portion defeated even me, I don't think I can face seafood again for a while).

When I got back to the hostel loads of people where in the TV room watching the Last Samurai, so I grabbed a spot on a bean bag and watched Tom Cruise (sorry but he is a mad midget, I don't care how famous he is) once again fail to die (hope I haven't spoilt this for anyone else but it is kind of obvious, he just won't die in films, I think there should be a clause in his next film requiring him to die in a really gory, terminal, no hopes of a magic recovery kind of way, it would cheer me up!)

Feeling thorougly sleepy afterwards I headed back to my room, another set of nightmare bunk bed ladders (I made it up, although it really wasn't dignified and thank god for the PJs that Jenny got me, they are getting a lot of use out here). I think last night had to qualify as my best nights sleep to date. I was completely out for the count and the bed was so comfy once you made it up the ladder. I woke up to sunshine and feeling wonderfully relaxed. 3 coffees later and I am still very mellow.

Unfortunately my plans to go kayaking today where scuppered by the fact that due to lack of demand the half day afternoon session wasn't going out. But all is not lost as I am booked on the full day kayaking trip which should be fab (they include lunch, which as a traveller I really appreciate, I am just so bored about having to work out what to eat, fortunately I have a supply of muesli bars for when the apathy completely takes over so I am not going to starve to death or anything). I can hardly wait and will report all on my next update. So we are out from around 9am getting back at 4.30am. At this point I hope my arms aren't too jellified as I am driving for 3 hours up to Abel Tasman national park, where I am staying at Old MacDonald's farm, as it is a place recommended by one of the other backpackers here who has just come back from that area. They have loads of animals roaming around there, as it is a working farm, complete with Llamas. I have 3 nights there, so I am really looking forward to it (plus it will be nice to be in one place for 3 whole nights, the decadence of it!).

Oh and one last thing to say, since I am looking forward to Shark's Tale in the TV room tonight, Sequoia Lodge here in Picton is fantastic. So if any of you are ever over this way, I heartily recommend it. Lovely bunch of people, good facilities and the TV room is virtually a cinema type experience.

As it hasn't been long since my last post, really don't have a lot more to report. I can give you a few highlights in terms of funny signs etc I have seen so far:

1. In New Plymouth on the back of an admittedly filthy car a large sticker reading "I wish my wife was this dirty"

2. On Nelson Square here in Picton, which is one way, very helpfully states "Wrong Way" for anyone who might not realise they are going in the opposite direction to everyone else

3. Announcement on the Interislander ferry just before we left Wellington "our current etd is 2pm, members of the crew will be going round shortly with sick bags, we recommend that you take one.."

So many other things have made me giggle along the way, but my mind is now a blank. I leave you all as I head beachward (well I am sure there must be a beach around here somewhere...)

Choice!

No comments: